Sunday, September 22, 2013

Properties of Addition Saga

Hi everyone.

This year my district adopted a new Math Series called "My Math."  I like the book because it is aligned with the Common Core Standards.....but Oh My Goodness...  my kiddos are STRUGGLING!!!

We previously had a VERY OLD version of Everyday Math which was published before Common Core became an itch someone decided needed scratched.

This week in Chapter 2 Lesson One we were introduced to the Properties of Addition - which had never been mentioned in Everyday Math.  (Common Core would have introduced them in 2nd grade for sure - but maybe in 1st - I would have to look.)  Of course, My Math only had one lesson dedicated to this review - but since it was a new learning for my kiddos - I needed to strrrreeeeettttttcccccch the lesson into several days.  Here is how I used the products I made to help my students.

Day One - My Math Whole Group Lesson from the textbook.   Lesson, Guided Practice, Independent Practice (they struggled with this), and Homework.

Day Two - Whole Group Review Lesson, Number Sentence Sort (from bundle), and a Super Teacher Worksheet on Properties of Addition for Homework.

Day Three - Began the day with the Numbered Task Card Scavenger Hunt.  (This is so easy and simple!  I gave two student pairs  half of the Numbered Task Cards, a tape dispenser, and instructed them to tape the cards up around the room where they were visible).   Then all students received a Response Sheet and walked around the room finding and answering the Numbered Task Cards. 

I went on with Chapter 2 Lesson 2 in My Math - but I had the Poke Cards ready for Small Group Practice.

By the end of the week I think they were proficient with the Properties of Addition.   I am just not sure how far we are going to get in the book if we keep crawling at this snail pace.  Our district did not provide us a pacing guide - so I guess we will get there when we get there. 

Here are the products I made for my kiddos.   You can purchase them through my Teachers Pay Teachers Store

 Only $5
Save Money and Receive a Bonus Product! This Bundle includes the Task Cards, the Poke Cards, and the Number Sentence Sort (not available anywhere else)!


 

 






No comments:

Post a Comment